Thursday, 19 December 2013

Incredible Video of a Massive Malaysian Landslide

One of the most terrifying of these is a massive landslide. The idea of millions or billions of tons of rock slipping out and collapsing down, the scale of it, the sound… yikes. They’re pretty rare, but sometimes they get caught on camera. I’ve seen a lot of videos of them, so I was really surprised when I found one recently that I hadn’t seen. Even more surprising was that I hadn’t even heard of it, despite the mind-numbing scale of it. It was videotaped in 1993 so the resolution isn’t the best, but trust me: Watch the whole thing, to the very end. Because holy wow.
The slide occurred in Malaysia at an abandoned open tin mine that was located near Pantai Remis, on the coast of the Malacca Strait. Toward the end you can see the sea water rushing in on what I can only call an apocalyptic scale. When it was all done, a new cove was formed over 800 meters across!