(NaturalNews) Are you one of the many who, in the effort to be eco-friendly and to save money, replaced your old incandescent light bulbs with environmentally-friendly compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) energy saving light bulbs? If so, beware. A new study conducted by conducted by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany's Alab Laboratory found these light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens that could cause cancer. These include:
Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid, obtained fromcoaltar and used in chemical manufacture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol).
Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphth...).
Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene).
The German scientists involved caution to keep theselight bulbs"as far away as possible from the humanenvironment." If used, they advise that you use the bulbs sparingly, in areas with good ventilation, and "definitely not in the proximity of the head," as the bulbs generate electrical smog, impacting humanhealth.
What a dilemma for Americans. Following a 2007 bill signed into law by President George W. Bush, the US government will ban the sale of 100 watt traditional incandescent light bulbs and replace them withtoxicCFLs by January 1, 2012, followed by the 75-watt version in Jan. 2013, and the 60- and 40-watt bulbs in Jan. 2014. This will follow on the heels of the Europeans who began to phase out incandescent bulbs in 2009 and by 2016 the EU also plans to ban halogen bulbs, forcingpeopleto use compact fluorescents.
ThatCFLsare harmful is not new information. It is well known that they contain toxic mercury, a neurotoxin that can damage the brain, liver, kidneys and central nervous system. The bulbs are marketed as "safe" as long as the glass remains intact. Thedangercomes, reports FoxNews (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/...), if the bulbs are cracked, broken or not disposed of properly causing the toxic dust to spread into the air. Just one fluorescent light bulb contains enough mercury to contaminate 6,000 gallons of water and in humans to impair motor functioning, cognitive ability and emotional stability.
Moreover, the "dirty energy" emitted by CFLs produces radiation that has been linked with migraineheadaches, sleep abnormalities, fatigue, and other health defects while the flickering of fluorescent bulbs causes dizziness, headaches, weakness and illness in some sensitive people.